INDIA SPICED STOUT CAKE
1 c. Dark Stout Beer
1 c. Unsalted Butter (2 sticks)
¾ c. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
2 c. All Purpose Flour
2 c. Sugar
½ tbl. Baking Soda
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 ea large eggs
2/3 c. Sour Cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare 2 6” round cake pans by buttering and lining with parchment.
- In a sauce pot, combine the stout and butter. Cook over medium heat until the butter melts. Whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Remove from stove.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combing the flour, sugar, baking soda, India spice, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and sour cream. Whisk until completely smooth.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture whisking to combine. When fully mixed, add the flour and stir until fully incorporated.
- Divide batter equally among cake pans. Bake until tester comes our clean, about 30 – 40 minutes.
- Transfer cakes to cooling rack.
- To assemble cake, take one cake round and cover top with a good amount of frosting, about ¾ cup. Top with the other round and lightly crumb coat the entire cake with a small amount of frosting, just enough to keep the crumbs at bay when you decorate. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Remove from cooler and frost as desired.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz Cream Cheese
8 oz Unsalted Butter, room temperature
1 c. Powdered Sugar
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp This Little Goat went to India
- In a standing mixer, combine the cream cheese and butter. Beat until well combined on medium speed.
- Add the powdered sugar on low speed, mixing until well incorporated.
- Add the salt and India Spice and beat on high for about 30 seconds until light and fluffy.